Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Passion for Coffee...

If you know me at all you know how much I love coffee and specifically unique coffee.  You will see me at the Allen & West Starbucks almost everyday.  My christmas & birthday gifts consisted of over $100 in Starbucks gift cards, 6 lbs of Starbucks Coffee, & 30 Starbucks VIA coffee packets.  I read books about coffee (Pour your Heart into It, Onward, the Starbucks Experience) Guatemalan Burlap coffee bags decorate my office, and my wife believes I am an espresso maker away from owning my own coffee shop.  Let's just say I love coffee and especially the idea of a coffee shop.

It all started when I had my first Caramel Apple Spice Cider from Starbucks in junior high.  At that point I was hooked and had to have that little white & green cup in my hand always.  My love for coffee only grew and I began to search out new places, types, and ways of making coffee only growing more and more fascinated with the process and the culture of coffee.

Although I love the taste and aroma of coffee, it runs so much deeper.  It is the idea of a coffee shop being an influence in the community.  A meeting place that people can come together, discuss the good and bad of life, work together, change the world together.  Coffee shops should be the center of a community not only making it a comfortable place to come, but also a place that is doing something positive in the community, not just taking their money.  Thus, I have continually supported the local coffee shop, but more recently my "third place" has become the Starbucks on Allen & West in Woodhaven, MI.  Not because they make good drinks & they have free Wi-Fi, but that Starbucks is a company that is giving back to the community and the world as a whole.

My dream is to one day open a coffee shop of my own that makes great beverages, has the best baristas, but most of all is a place that anyone can come and share their life with other people.  A place that they can call home and they feel that it is a positive impact on the community.

I have began to increase my growing inventory in coffee materials and they are shown below:

Espresso Stovetop Percolator 

French Press

Burr Grinder

Chemex Coffee Machine
Pour Over Coffee

Toddy Cold Brew System


What I love about each of these system is that they prepare coffee each in a unique way.  It makes the conventional coffee brewing system obsolete.  I know that right now I am a novice "barista", but i hope this is only the beginning of opening a coffee shop someday.

If you haven't already take some time to visit your local coffee shop, try one of their signature drinks, and begin to enjoy all that the coffee world has to offer.  


till another day, 



normallyINDIE

No comments:

Post a Comment