Saturday, January 7, 2012

Are you a Pastor?...

As many of you all know (if there are any readers out there) I have begun working at Groesbeck United Methodist Church in Colerain Township this past week.  Much of this week was filled with logistics, meetings, meals, and get to know you's.  But something fascinating happened that final day of the week and it had nothing to do with office work, sermon watching, podcast listening or anything of the sorts.

Instead it was a knock on the back door of the church with a man standing in the doorway cold and concerned.  The man's name was Darryl and he was simply asking for a pastor of the church.  Stupidly, I looked around to see if I could find a pastor that work there, only soon to remember that I just assumed that position just a few days ago.  After looking around I said I was just that.  He then explained himself and his situation, explaining to me that he was told that were churches around this area and he simply needed someone to pray for him.  He just had a good feeling about this place and when he saw the car in the parking lot, he thought he should ask.  So I took Darryl's hands, cold as could be, and began praying for him.  Trembling with fear and sadness I listened to him say, "Yes, Lord" & "Amen".  And it was in that moment that I realized the power there is in being a minister of God's church and more importantly the power of prayer to our mighty Lord.

Upon meeting Darryl and learning that he wanted a pastor to pray for him I remember thinking well I can pray for you, but that is not going to help, maybe I can find food or water or money.  But as I think more and more about the situation, prayer is the exact thing that he should ask for and especially needed in that situation.  If there was anyone or anything that could comfort Darryl it was the warmth that can be found in the hands of God.  I am so happy that I ignored my ignorant feelings and continued to pray for Darryl.

I never want to get to the point in my ministry that I feel that the work of the Lord is better in my hands and the physical remedies are much stronger than prayer.  The Lord is not only the center of the ministry that I am honored to be a part of, but he "is" the ministry I am honored to be a part of.

Although Darryl did not drop to his knees at that very moment and accept Christ, I do know that he was met with the face of the church at that moment.  I have no idea where Darryl is tonight, but I do know that when he sees the GUMC doors he will remember that we are here for him.  And although I may never see Darryl again, I will be praying for him and it reminded me of the honor and responsibility that comes with being called a Pastor of our mighty Lord's church.


till another day,



normallyINDIE

No comments:

Post a Comment