Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Doing the little things...

I am currently working as a Sales Associate at my favorite store, Urban Outfitters.  It is located at the Keystone at the Crossing Fashion Mall on the Northside of Indianapolis.  Two years ago the store opened and I had the opportunity to be apart of the team that helped to open that store, although I had to leave shortly after that to pursue a position in ministry.  Upon return to Indy, I was given the opportunity to work with a great team of people at Urban Outfitters once again.  Although some of the work may seem repetitive, I learn something every time I go into work.  Whether it be a meaningful conversation with someone who needs it or helping a customer find that perfect gift for a loved one.  It is the smile of satisfaction that really helps motivate me to continue to strive to get better.

As most retail jobs go it can be hard to be noticed as an individual with how fast paced the work is, pushing as much inventory as we do, and hiring as many associates as we have, it can be easy to fall through the cracks.  It can even feel as though your work is forgotten, but that is not how I feel at our store.  The managerial staff always makes a point to motivate, encourage, and most of all genuinely appreciate all of the hard work that each of us puts in, no matter how small it may seem.

Last night, I spent the evening vacuuming and cleaning the store because it is important to us to have a store that each customer loves coming back to and for many people this task can seem meaningless or unimportant, but working at Urban Outfitters has allowed me to truly appreciate each role that a team member plays.  I do not have to go down the line, but if each associate/team leader/manager did not do their job, no matter how small it may seem, then our store would not be as successful as it has been over the past two years.  It is because of the continue encouragement and motivation from the Team Leaders and Managers that really reminds me the important role that I play on the Urban Outfitters team.  This type of leadership is worth following and this is the type of team that I am happy to be a part of.

Thank you for the opportunity that you have given me to be apart of such a wonderful team.




til' another day,




normallyINDIE (Alec Tod).

No comments:

Post a Comment